Thursday, February 19, 2009

Absolutely Necessary

Today my baby boy is showing signs of a late winter cold. Baby colds are so sad because you can't really do much for them. Babies can't take cold medication and they can't even blow their nose. So all you can do is set up the humidifier, get the booger sucker out and slather vapor rub all over their warm pink bodies. And of course, when babies have a cold they are terribly agitated because all they want to do is sleep. But could you sleep if you had trouble breathing, snot running all over your face and no NyQuil to knock you out? So, for the majority of the day I've been trying to make my baby boy comfortable and just get through this. It's funny that it is the days like these that make me want to be a permanent SAHM (as opposed to the temporary, unemployed type) even more.

Of course, the good days are memorable as well. Fun times at the park, playing outside, an especially cute remark on a playdate, etc. But, the sick days when your little one needs extra TLC make just as compelling of a case to be a SAHM. I wouldn't want anybody else giving my little guy the extra love he needs when he's not feeling well, I want to be the one to do that! I want to be home with my kids on their good days and their bad days and I don't think that is too much to ask.

The question becomes how to make it happen. There are tons of families all over this country that survive on one income. Why can't we? I'm not saying it wouldn't be challenging. Some difficult decisions would have to be made for sure. When it comes to my particular situation it seems like the only viable option would be moving to a more affordable house in a more affordable area. There would be sacrifices we'd have to make. But in the end we would be living a life that we want for our family and isn't that what matters the most?

I think sometimes when the mom petitions to stay at home with the kids it comes across that she doesn't want to work anymore. That couldn't be further from the truth. Staying home with your kids 24/7 is a daunting task that certainly takes a physical and emotional toll. As for brain power, well, playing with toddlers doesn't take that much. However, managing the finances, getting the most out of your shopping and keeping the social and medical calendars does! Not to mention, it certainly is a LOT of work! :) But after spending this much time with my kiddos I absolutely couldn't bear to go back to a 9-5, 5 days a week type of job. I mean, I could and would do it if it was absolutely necessary, but I would be miserable and I think my kids wouldn't thrive as much too.

I guess the "absolutely necessary" condition is a subjective one. To one person "absolutely necessary" means you need to get a job to earn an income because you can't afford your lifestyle and to another "absolutely necessary" means you've exhausted all other options and you have no other choice. I'm a person of the latter variety. I want to exhaust all other possibilities before I have to make the choice to go back to a full-time job and put my kids back in daycare.

There are other possibilities...if you think outside of the box that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment