Monday, February 9, 2009

How Far Would You Go To Get What You Want?

This past weekend there was gossip abuzz within my small group of friends. Turns out that one couple got a fantastic opportunity in the form of a job offer that was pretty hard to turn down. Problem was - it was in Texas. They had a very short amount of time to decide if they were going to uproot their young family, try to sell their house and move away from family and friends toward something brand new that offered huge opportunity for success and stability but was shrouded by the unknown.

That got me thinking. How far would you go to get what you want? What I want right now more than anything is a stable and secure scenario that allows me to stay home with my children full-time. For the past few months I have been scouring my brain to find a way to make this happen but all thought processes lead me back to the same reality - it just doesn't work out. Moving never even crossed my mind as a possibility. For one, my husband and I both have family in the area. Very close in the area actually. No given family member is more than 20 minutes away in any direction. For two, we have great friends here. Friends that are like extended family that you can count on and trust when you're in a pinch. For three, we love our house. We built our house with the intention that this house would be where we would stay for a very long time...til our kids were moved out at least. We are very happy where we live and if it all worked out would stay here forever.

But everything has a price. What if you could live a lifestyle that you've always wanted, but you had to be a few hours away from the very family and friends that you lived your whole life being only a few minutes away from? Is it worth it?

Call it thinking outside of the box. Call it being proactive to move ourselves out of a precarious situation into a more stable one. Call it just dreaming of something new and a little bit exciting. Whatever you call it, I think it's empowering to allow yourself every option this world has to offer. Doing this makes you feel like you have a little bit of control when you're feeling so out of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment