Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dreams of Winning Big


In this day and age it seems like everybody wants more. If they have a house they want a bigger, nicer house. If they have a car they want a pricier, flashier one. If they have money in the bank they want to spend it. And I'm not just preaching from a high horse, I am certainly not immune to this wanting disease.

Unfortunately, very often I find myself wanting more. I love our house, but wouldn't it be nice to have a bigger and better one with a big yard and luxurious amenities? I have a pretty nice wardrobe, but wouldn't it be fun to shop all day at Nordstrom's and not worry about how much you are spending? It's even come to the point that I have a very specific plan in my head regarding what we would do with millions of dollars - by winning the lottery, of course - and we don't even play the lottery!

I think it's time to step back and think about what I already have and how really the most important things can't be bought with lottery winnings in the first place. I have a great family with supportive parents and in-laws that actually all get along really well, how many people can say that?!? :) I have a fantastic sister (and new brother-in-law) and equally fantastic sisters-in-law that I know I can count on. I have a great husband who loves me unconditionally and (in my opinion) the cutest, sweetest and smartest little kids a person could ask for!! My family is healthy, active, fun and loving and who wants to jeopardize that with the greed that comes with having money? Can you tell I've thought long and hard about this? :)

Have you ever watched one of those "Curse of the Lottery" shows on E!? Give ordinary people extraordinary wealth and it's like watching a train wreck. Even the most good-intentioned people have to deal with "long-lost relatives" and "long-lost friends" coming out of the woodwork looking for a piece of the pie. Then, think about how one would go about looking for somebody trustworthy and experienced to handle this new found wealth. It exhausts me just thinking about it.

So while I will continue to dream about what we would do with millions of dollars, I'm going to put that dream in the "fantasy" pile and try not to invest too many of my thoughts on something that isn't very healthy to think about. Instead, I'm going to start counting my blessings and focus on what I already have which is honestly more than I could ever hope for.

But, I still might buy a lottery ticket today...! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment